James E. Travis
||South Boston, MA 02127-3044, USA|
Manager with over 10 years experience in multi-faceted organizations. Demonstrated ability to learn new software and implement new technology. Championed the use of computer technology to streamline administrative tasks throughout my career. Strong project management, analytical, communications, presentation, interpersonal, team, and computer skills. In addition to demonstrating these skills in my daily work, I also instructed soft skills courses which emphasized these skills. The Boston area is my priority for assignments requiring a physical office, but welcome world-wide cyber-based short term positions.
Go to resume section: Technologist MWRA Experience USPS Experience Education Computer Skills
Technologist - 2004 - Present
- Maintain proficiency with the newest computer technology.
- Read the technological blogs daily.
- Attend (4 to 6 times monthly) tech-centric user group meetings in the Boston area.
- Regularly attend Microsoft, and Google presentations at their Boston area locations.
- Use the latest Windows 8, Windows 8 RT, iOS, Android, and Windows Phone devices with a variety of screen sizes, and capabilities.
- Forte for implementing technology to creatively solve busines problems and / or improve a business system(s).
Program Manager, Training - MWRA - Winthrop, MA (1993 - 2004)
Implemented Palm OS® and Windows Mobile PDA's to: display PowerPoint presentations on classroom projector; review training transcripts and training schedules exported from Crystal Reports; track training contract deliverables downloaded from FoxPro database; remotely control classroom A/V equipment; check email/web resources; and update department databases/spreadsheets.
Managed training contracts valued in excess of $4 Million.
Managed major scope changes for two major training contracts. The scope changes resulted in more relevant training programs without any cost increases.
Developed dBASE/FoxPro based databases to track contract deliverables and all contacts/meetings with vendors. This dBASE/FoxPro system replaced existing manual systems and eliminated $50K in vendor report costs.
Worked with the Deer Island Intranet Development Team in deploying Intranet content for MWRA employees. The Training Dept. had the first intranet page.
Worked as the System Administrator for the Registrar 4.0 proprietary database, which was used to schedule and track all training at Deer Island. Developed many reports and export/import definitions to ease user access to the appropriate data. Automated processes by sharing data from Registrar with WordPerfect and FoxPro. Ported the reports and export definitions to Pathlore LMS/Crystal Reports.
Supplied Headquarter's Human Resources, other Headquarter's Departments, and field sites with customized Crystal Reports and Requirements Tracking Option (RTO) reports on a regular basis. I had the reputation of being HR's Crystal Reports/RTO "guru" and willingly assisted other team members in obtaining needed data in their preferred format. Before I retired, I developed a series of audio/video tutorials covering Crystal Reports and RTO using SnagIt and Powerpoint. The tutorials were available on the department server and CD.
Implemented a competency based OJT program for Deer Island Operations, which required coordinating contractor and MWRA development projects.
Assisted in developing a training program on contract management for managers and supervisors.
Instructed soft skills courses including effective business writing, verbal communications, team building, interpersonal skills, project management, conflict resolution, basic supervisory skills, and enhanced supervisory skills.
Developed and instructed courses on using macros and templates to enhance productivity with word processors.
Facilitated focus groups to obtain feedback on work conditions and overall employee morale.
Supplied defacto technical computer and audio/visual support for the Training/Reception Building including the Plant Director's Office.
Manager, Training - United States Postal Service - Boston, MA (1982 - 1992)
- Developed a FileMaker database to track all activity in the Employee Resource Center. Before the FileMaker database was developed, a manual system was used, and determining the popular Resource Center offerings was difficult. With the FileMaker database, we were able to dynamically adjust our employee offerings based on usage patterns, and schedule employee coverage more efficiently.
- Coordinated the national training development and implementation for a new computerized time system developed under contract by AT&T. Evaluated training programs, which were developed by vendors and contractors in conjunction with new equipment/processes deployment. The target audience for one program was 300,000 employees.
- Served as the Northeast Region (New England, New York and New Jersey) coordinator for the deployment of computer based training systems. Duties included assisting users with any hardware/software problems associated with the new deployment and ensuring material was delivered on schedule.
- Participated as a lead developer and instructor for a Managing the Training Function course for new postal training managers which was offered at the national management training site and selected field sites. When travel budgets were tight, I offered a "telecommunication version" of this course from Boston over an 8 week period using the postal private telephone system. The "telecommunication version" had students from all sections of the U.S.A. and exceeded the course goals. The "telecommunication version" was definitely a viable alternative during tight budget times.
- Coordinated local needs assessments and curricula development based on the results. Utilized many tools in the needs assessment process, including surveys, observations, focus groups, and individual interviews.
- Managed the design and implementation of a VAX based HRIS - Master Training Record (MTR) system which saved 1 � administrative positions and 10 file cabinets. This computerized system was the first postal automated training tracking system to eliminate the mandated manual system and was accomplished in phases over two years.
- Conceived, designed, developed and instructed a four day instructor based course on needs assessment, course design/development and evaluation for company training professionals. This in-house initiative saved $25,000 in outside tuition costs.
- Introduced Macintosh and PC Compatible computers into the training department, which streamlined the administrative processes and enhanced the quality of the training material. The result was a 10% reduction in administrative labor costs. This deployment was a long range project, which included planning, budgeting, and implementing a new (at the time) technology.
- Developed an electronic bulletin board to allow personnel throughout the country to share information on local initiatives and prevent duplication of effort. Macros/templates and other locally developed programs were available for download by users. This bulletin board was the first in the country to receive permission to use the private national postal phone system for data transfer. Project included deployment of client software, with documentation, to users throughout the country.
- Designed and deployed a LocalTalk based network to allow staff personnel to share data and system resources. Served as the System Administrator for this system from its inception until my departure. PC's, Macintoshes and Apple II's were used to access this network. Project included planning the network, procuring funds, and managing the implementation.
- "Reversed engineered" Apple IIe files, which needed to be changed in order to customize a company application for local use. The original developer of the application had left the company.
- Master of Education, Instructional Design, UMass/Boston - 1992
- Bachelor of Arts, Boston State College
|Windows PC's||Extensive experience using Windows 3.1,
Windows 95, Windows 98SE, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP , Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8 RT. Have utilized Microsoft Office Suite since the Suite was introduced. Access, FoxPro and Crystal Reports are a speciality.|
|Apple Macintosh||Extensive experience using Mac OS9 and X, including Tiger (10.4), and Leopard (10.5). Wireless networking using Wi-Fi (AirPort and other brands) and FileMaker Pro are a speciality.|
|Mobile Devices||Extensive experience using Palm OS®, Windows Mobile, Windows Phone 7, iOS (iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch), Android (1.6, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 3.x, 4.x) phones, and 7" / 10" tablets. Integrating mobile devices into Wi-Fi Networks and mobile databases/spreadsheets are a speciality.|
- Experience using UNIX based workstations and Digital minicomputers.