Montréal, A Great Vacation
Montréal" during Christmas
Québec is one of my favorite vacation locations. Each of 13 summer vacations (1994 - 2006) included at least 9 days in Montréal. I also visited
Montréal during January, 1993 and Christmas, 1999. After a 6 year hiatus due to various reasons, I was able to spend a very enjoyable week in Montréal during the summer of 2012. It was great to be back in Montréal again, Montréal is still an excellent vacation destination. I started visiting Montréal in the 70's for party weekends in conjuction with the Montréal Canadians/Boston Bruins hockey games; now I go
because Montréal is an excellent vacation location.
The reasons I visit Montréal frequently are:
- Montréal is only a 5 to 6 hour car ride from Boston.
- The route
from Boston to Montréal is very scenic, about ½ of the trip is
through Vermont, a very scenic state.
- Montréal is very cosmopolitan.
- The residents of Montréal are very friendly and welcome visitors.
- Montréal has great restaurants.
- The US Dollar
has used to have a very
favorable exchange rate with the Canadian Dollar, not anymore. I will continue visiting, and enjoying Montréal regardless of the exchange rate.
- Montréal is a great
"party" city, something for everyone.
- Montréal hosts many
festivals and special events.
- Montréal is very scenic and enjoyable:
- Mont Royal is fantastic, beautiful views of the city and a great park
in its own right.
- Old Montréal is very European and quaint.
Old Port has been restored and is a very active section of the city, used by
both residents and visitors. One of the nicest restoration projects of any
- A walk down St. Catherine St. on a summer night is a wonderful
experience. Many Montréal residents still enjoy a nice walk downtown on
a summer evening.
- Although there are a lot of
similarities to home, there are many differences including:
- Currency is the dollar, but the Canadian Dollar is a different value than
the US Dollar.
- Metric system of measurement.
- French is the major
language, but most residents speak English fluently.
- No right turn on red
at any traffic light (Montreal Island).
- Smoked beef is very popular (try it, you'll like it.)
- Molson Export is an excellent beer. Although Molson Ale is a popular export
to the states, you usually only see Molson Export in Canada and at US stores
near the border. Molson Export is not readily available in Boston. I like
Molson Ale, but Molson Export is better.
- Montréal is a great
- Montréal has an excellent Metro and bus system. My car
usually stays at the hotel during my entire vacation. I walk, take the Metro
(subway) or public bus. Check out Bus 11 (leaves from Mont Royal Orange Line Metro Station) to visit Mont Royal (fantastic views of the city), and Bus 715 from downtown to Old Port / Old Montreal.
- The Underground City allows shoppers and strollers
to visit hundreds of shops without going outside. A nice plus in the winter.
- The Forum (where the Canadians played before moving to the Molson/Bell Centre) has been developed into a 22 screen stadium seating movie theater, an entertainment center, and several strores including a FutureShop. A nice use for the Forum rather than tearing it down.
- Montréal has wonderful museums and an exceptional botanical garden.
Also, the old Expo and Olympic sites are very enjoyable and "must see"
- Montréal has a "world class" casino.
are many day trip locations close to Montreal. I have visited Québec
City (several times), Ottawa, and the Thousand Islands. All the trips were a
nice way to spend a day and very reasonably priced. I particularly enjoyed the
one day trip by boat from Montréal to Québec City with a chartered
bus return trip in the evening.
recommend Montréal as a vacation location, you will definitely enjoy a
visit to Montréal.
Click here for the Montréal Official Tourist Information
Click here for information about Montréal during Christmas.
Return to home page