Retirement Thoughts
June 30, 2004
Saturday, July 31, 2004
Enjoyed Provincetown, I have always liked the eclectic nature of Provincetown and the weather was great. I took the 4:30 p.m. Fast Ferry home and then went to the Loew's Boston Common to see the Manchurian Candidate, an excellent movie.
Friday, July 30, 2004
I did not post yesterday because I was away and had a sporadic cell signal. When I went to the Aquarium IMAX on Wednesday evening, I saw the Provincetown Fast Ferry docked near the Aquarium. Seeing the ferry reminded me that I wanted to go to Provincetown before the summer was over. When I got home from the IMAX Wednesday, I called weather and the forecast was for a couple of sunny days. Even though I got to bed about 2:00 a.m., I was on the 9:00 a.m. Fast Ferry from Boston to Provincetown Thursday. I took extra clothes in case I was able to get last minute reservations.

I was able to get two nights lodging. I called from the boat and lucked out. Last minute summer reservations are difficult to get in Provincetown.

As always, Provincetown is a lot of fun and one benefit of retirement is the ability to travel on a whim and during the week.
Wednesday, July 28, 2004
Again, I got to bed late and got up late. The contractor was at the house to put a second coat of paint on the foyer. While the contractor was there, I did some tasks around the house that I wanted to do before going on vacation.

I did go to the New England Aquarium and saw Spider-Man 2 on IMAX. Although I had already seen the movie at the regular cinema, viewing the movie in IMAX is like seeing it again for the first time. The screen at the IMAX is 85 feet wide and the remastered film gives unbelievable clarity in IMAX. There were only about 50 people at the 7:30 p.m. show even though the movie just started in IMAX last Friday. A lot of people are staying away from downtown Boston this week because of all the closed roads for the DNC.
Tuesday, July 27, 2004
Today was another enjoyable retirement day. I didn't get to bed until 4:00 a.m. so I slept late.

I went to downtown Boston to get some Canadian dollars for my vacation. The downtown location didn't have enough Canadian dollars so I went to a branch of the same bank at Harvard Square and got more Canadian dollars. I was going to Cambridge anyway for a geek meeting tonight so it was no problem going to Harvard Square. I took the number 1 T bus from Harvard to the front door of MIT.

Overall, another enjoyable, relaxing day.
Monday, July 26, 2004
Today was another enjoyable retirement day. Although I did not get to bed until 4:00 a.m., I got up before 10:00 a.m. I went to the Cambridgeside Galleria and then went to a movie at the Kendall Theater.

The Apple Store at the Galleria had received an iPod mini in that day and were holding it for me. The iPod mini's demand is much greater than the supply; therefore, you purchase within the limited time the mini's are actually available. The mini was a green one. Although green is my favorite color, I am not particularly fond of the iPod mini's shade of green. However, in short supply situations, you take what is available. Besides, I bought the mini for its excellent sound and small form factor, not the fact that it is available in different colors.

I ate dinner at the Cheesecake Factory at Cambridgeside. There was no line (a rarity) probably because a large number of Bostonians left the city to avoid all the road closings etc. for the DNC.
Sunday, July 25, 2004
Again, I got to bed late and got up late. I did go to the movies and had dinner at the Cambridge Brewery. After dinner, I visited a friend and got home about midnight.

I am definitely enjoying myself and, as I included in yesterday's post, I am not too concerned about the "getting to bed late" / "getting up late" norm which I have established as long as it ends with the summer.

It is hard to believe that we are almost at the end of July, the time is flying by. When I get back from vacation, it will be September.
Saturday, July 24, 2004
I got to bed again late, so I slept late. I did go to a movie, "Catwoman", visited a friend, and stopped for a tea at the B&N Cafe.

Overall, today was an enjoyable day and I am not too concerned about the going to bed late / getting up late norm that I have established. I did intend to give myself this summer to relax and, since I am a natural night owl, I am relaxing.

However, after vacation, I want to get to bed / get up at a reasonable hour and spend at least an hour each day reviewing old files, etc. By devoting an hour a day, I will have everything sorted into "take with me" and "throw out" piles when and if I relocate to Florida.
Friday, July 23, 2004
I got to bed late, so I got up late this morning. I definitely am a night person.

Before going to the movies, I did order a new Olympus 8080 Wide Zoom 8 megapixels camera to replace my current 3.3 megapixels Olympus camera which I purchased just before the Tall Ships came to Boston in 2000. The camera will be delivered before I go on vacation August 4.

I know I should be watching my spending now that I am retired; however, next year I may be living in Florida and may not get to Canada again for awhile. Also, the increase in picture quality between 3.3 and 8 megapixels should be significant, and it will be nice to have very high resolution pictures of my favorite places in Quebec City, Montreal, and Lake George. I was extremely satisfied with the picture quality of my 3.3 megapixels Olympus and am looking forward to the even better quality of the 8 megapixels Olympus 8080 camera.

I attended two movies today, "The Bourne Supremacy" and a sneak preview of "Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle". Both movies were excellent.

Overall, a good day. I do have to watch my spending.
Thursday, July 22, 2004
Today was another nice retirement day. I went to a movie at the Kendall Theater and then went to the Apple Store in Chestnut Hill. The item I wanted was not in stock at Cambridgeside, hence the Chestnut Hill trip. My first assignment with the U. S. Postal service was at the Chesnut Hill Branch, from 1967 to 1970. My, how things have changed. Of course, the entire trip was via the T.

I purchased a new fourth generation 40 GB iPod to replace my 5 GB first generation iPod and also purchased the new Airport Express portable base station.
Wednesday, July 21, 2004
I used the car today for only the second time since I stopped working. First thing was to have the car washed, then I saw Harry Potter at the IMAX Theater at Jordan's Furniture in Natick. This was the first time I was in either the IMAX Theater at Jordan's Furniture or the Jordan's Furniture store itself. Usually, I go to the IMAX at the New England Aquarium because it is much closer and easily reached by T.

The main reasons I used the car today were to attend the Boston Pocket PC Meeting this evening at Microsoft in Waltham, and I wanted to give the car a good run because the car had not been used in 19 days. I have only attended this meeting once before because it was the opposite direction from my house than work was, and I had to get up for work so early the next day.

It is hard to believe that two weeks from today I will be leaving for Quebec City.

Overall, I had a very enjoyable day.
Tuesday, July 20, 2004
I had an appointment on Broadway at 11:00 a.m. so I was up at 8:00 a.m. (good thing) even though I didn't get to bed until about 2:30 a. m. I went to a movie afterwards and ate dinner in the food court at the Cambridgeside Galleria after the movie. I hadn't been to Cambridgeside in a long time. Of course, I visited the Apple Store.

It was nice to get up early for a change and I hope to make a habit of getting up at a reasonable hour.
Monday, July 19, 2004
Another 3:30 a.m. bed time. I was working on the computer and didn' t get to bed again until 3:30 a.m. I did get up at a reasonable time and went downtown for a movie and dinner. I saw "the DOOR in the FLOOR" at the Copley Cinema; this movie was one of the best movies I have seen in a long time. Since I see over 200 movies a year, a movie has to be really good to get this rating from me.

I had a light dinner at Sbarro's, stopped for a tea at the B&N Cafe in the Pru, and will visit a friend on the way home.

Overall, today was an enjoyable day. I do have to start getting to bed earlier. I'll have to summon the willpower to shut the computer off, even if I am in the middle of something, and get to bed at a reasonable hour.
Sunday, July 18, 2004
I didn't get to bed until 3:30 a.m. again; I was using my computer and watching TV. I do have to stop this before it becomes a bad habit. I want to go to bed at a reasonable hour and get-up and out of the house at a reasonable hour as well.

I did have the Krispy Kreme doughtnuts I got last night with my bran cereal breakfast this morning (I know, a great combination). After breakfast, I read the large Sunday paper leisurely, took a shower, visited a friend, went to dinner at Harvard Gardens, and then saw a movie at the Kendall Cinema.

I enjoyed the day immensely; however, I do have to start getting to bed at a reasonable hour and start watching what I eat so I can loose some weight.
Saturday, July 17, 2004
Another enjoyable retirement day.  I went to a movie (surprise, surprise), had dinner at Pizzeria Uno, relaxed on a bench at Landmark Center, and visited a friend on the way home.  I passed through the Prudential Mall on the way home and did stop at Krispy Kreme to get some doughnuts for the morning.
In some ways, it still seems like I am on a long vacation.  Although I miss the direct deposit of my former paycheck each week, it has not totally sunk in that I am retired.
In another two and a half weeks, I will be going on vacation for a month to Quebec City, Montreal, and Lake George.  I am looking forward to the vacation.  When I return from vacation, it will be after Labor Day and the summer, for all intents and purposes, will be over.
I am definitely enjoying this retirement experience.
Friday, July 16, 2004
I had four wonderful days at Macworld. I was up early every day and out late every evening with Macworld related events. I did sleep late this morning to "make-up" for the limited sleep I got the rest of the week.

After a leisurely breakfast, I did call my old employer to return a phone call about a software application I used extensively. After the call, I went to a movie at AMC Fenway, dinner at Longhouse Steakhouse, and then relaxed on a bench at Landmark Center, enjoying the fine evening weather in Boston. I composed this blog entry while relaxing on the bench.

Since I was up so late all week and am feeling a bit tired, I hope to go to bed tonight at a reasonable hour.
Thursday, July 15, 2004
Had a great day at Macworld Boston today; I am sorry to see the show end. I went to three quality sessions, toured the expo area again, met several BMAC/BOSPDAUG friends, and went to dinner with friends after the show. I also purchased DVD Studio Pro at a really good show price.

On August 4, I will be leaving for my Montreal, Quebec City, and Lake George vacation. So even though Macworld is over, I still have my vacation to look forward to enjoying.
Wednesday, July 14, 2004
Another great day at Macworld; I attended several informative sessions and saw some neat gear at the expo. I bumped into about a dozen BOSPDAUG members and we had a nice chat. Last night's BOSPDAUG meeting was combined with the BMAC meeting because most BOSPDAUG members are Mac geeks as well, and an Apple engineer was presenting at BMAC.

For the first time, I went to dinner with 6 other BOSPDAUG members after the meeting. I had not gone to a post-meeting dinner before because I was up early for work the day of the meeting and I had to get up for work at 5 a.m. the morning after the meeting. Now that I am retired, I didn't have to get up at 5 a.m. the next morning and I could enjoy a nice dinner after the meeting. I didn't get home until after midnight; however, I did make Macworld on-time.

Today was definitely another enjoyable retirement day.
Tuesday, July 13, 2004
Another enjoyable day at Macworld today. The second day of the Photoshop workshop was excellent, as good as the first day. After the meeting, I went to the BMAC meeting which featured a presentation from Apple.

I am really enjoying Macworld and the associated activities. It will seem very quiet when Macworld is over and I return to my "normal" enjoyable retirement day of a movie, nice dinner, nice walk, and visiting a friend on the way home.
Monday, July 12, 2004
I was up relatively early today because I attended Macworld Boston in the new Boston Exposition and Conference Center. I was impressed with the new convention center. The first day of the Photoshop Seminar was excellent. After Macworld, I went to the Boston Final Cut Pro User Group meeting at Faneuil Hall. The meeting will not be over to near 10 p.m.. Today was a very long day; however, today was a very enjoyable day.

I was looking forward to Macworld and, so far, my expectations have been met.
Sunday, July 11, 2004
Today was another enjoyable day. I didn't go to bed until 3:30 a.m., so I slept late. After a leisurely read of the Sunday paper, I went to a movie at the Kendall Cinema. Dinner at the Cambridge Brewery followed the movie (as usual, I had no alcohol).

On the way home, I will stop by a friend's house for a short visit. I have to get to bed relatively early tonight because I have to be up early for Macworld Boston tomorrow and I will also be attending the Boston Final Cut Pro User's Group meeting tomorrow night after Macworld. Tomorrow will be a very active day.
Saturday, July 10, 2004
Today was another enjoyable day. I slept late, got a haircut at Supercuts near the Pru, ate dinner at Pizzeria Uno, went to a movie at Copley Place, did some mall browsing, and had a nice tea at the B & N Cafe in the Pru Mall.

Next week I will be up early each day to go to Macworld Boston. I hope to continue getting up early even after Macworld is over. Going to bed late and sleeping late is nice; however, I do not want that to become my regular schedule. I would like to be out of the house right after morning rush hour is over and go to bed at the appropriate time.

I did purchase the Macworld Platinum Pass (the best pass which gives entry to all events) as a retirement gift to myself. Three weeks minus a day after Macworld is over, I will be going to Quebec City, Montreal, and Lake George for a total of 33 days. I won't be back until either Labor Day or the day after Labor Day. When I get back, the summer will be over for all practical purposes, although the weather can be beautiful in September.

Tempus Fugit
Friday, July 09, 2004
I had a slight headache when I woke up (a rarity for me, I usually don't get headaches), so I slept later than I would have liked. I did go to the movies (saw Anchorman) and then went to the Longhorn Steakhouse for a nice steak dinner.

I'll take it easy tonight, I'll stop for a brief visit with a friend on the way home and, hopefully, go to bed early since I am not feeling 100% today.
Thursday, July 08, 2004
I went to a movie at the Kendall Cinema and then to Emma's for an excellent pizza for dinner. Tonight, I will be going to the opening night of the French Film Festival at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts.

A week ago today was my first official day of retirement and three weeks ago today was my first day of pre-retirement vacation. The time has flown by, tempus really does fugit. I realize I am retired; however, in some ways, I still feel like I am just on a lengthy vacation.
Wednesday, July 07, 2004
I had another nice day today. I didn't go to bed until 3:30 a.m., so I slept late this morning. After a nice breakfast, I went to the movies and then had a nice dinner at Longhorn Steakhouse.

I visited a friend on the way home, and overall, I had a very relaxing day.
Tuesday, July 06, 2004
Had another nice day today. I went to Harvard Square and saw a movie at the Brattle Theater. Today was the first time in a long time that I was at the Brattle Theater and also the first time in Harvard Square in over a month. I go to Harvard Square in cycles. Sometimes I am in Harvard Square 4 to 6 times a month, and other times, 4 to 6 months go by without visiting Harvard Square.

I do like Harvard Square and worked at the Harrvard Square Post Office for 3 and a half years when I was in my 20's. I am composing this post while sitting on a bench on Memorial Drive overlooking the Charles River. This is the same area I used to sit and have lunch during the summer when I worked at the Harvard Square Post Office.

The contractors were at the house this morning and should be pretty well finished today, except for the rear storm door which had to be custom made because of the odd size.

Overall, I am still enjoying my retirement and am looking forward to Macworld next week.
Monday, July 05, 2004
Today was a nice, relaxing day. It rained most of the day and it was a good day to relax and go to a movie. I slept late, read the paper while having breakfast, went to a movie and will drop by a friend's house on the way home. The contractor will probably be back tomorrow and I will be up early.

I plan to be a man of leisure for the rest of this week. Next week will be a very busy week. I will be up early for Macworld Boston Monday thru Thursday and have computer related events to attend most evenings. Hopefully, the contractor will be finished this week and I won't have to be concerned about the construction next week while at Macworld.
Sunday, July 04, 2004
Enjoyed the day - I slept late, took my time reading the Sunday paper, went to a movie, ate dinner, and visited a friend. Today was a nice, relaxing day.

I am going to relax and take it easy until after Macworld, then I will focus on my post-retirement tasks and what I want to do with the rest of my life.
Saturday, July 03, 2004
Because I got to bed late all week and got up early for the contractors working on my house, I allowed myself the luxury of sleeping late. After a leisurely late breakfast, I read the paper and did a little web surfing before going to a movie (The Clearing). After the movie, I ate dinner and visited a friend.

I definitely do not want to sleep late on a regular basis, but it is nice once in awhile.

The week after next is Macworld in Boston, which I will be attending all week. Three weeks after Macworld, I will be going to Quebec City, Montreal, and Lake George and will not be back until Labor Day. When I return. I will focus on reviewing all my files etc. and hopefully go to Florida for a few months in the winter.

I have thoroughly enjoyed the last 2 and a half weeks and I am sure I will continue to enjoy my retirement. However, after awhile, anything could become "old hat" and boring. It is not even close to reaching that point (I am still enjoying it) and with my busy summer schedule (Macworld, vacation), I know the "old hat" thing won't happen this summer. When we were discussing the leisurely pace of retirement in work, I said even sleeping with a supermodel would get old after awhile. If my retirement ever gets "old hat" and I start to be bored, I will definitely get a job, maybe part-time. Hopefully, my retirement will never get "old hat" and boring, or, at least, will not get "old hat" and boring until I am long settled in Florida.
Friday, July 02, 2004
Contractor's were at the house today, the construction is going well. Went to see De-Lovely (good movie) at the Loew's Boston Common. After the movie, I took a slow walk through the Boston Common and Public Gardens on my way to Bertucci's for dinner. I have gone from the Loew's Boston Common to Bertucci's before, but I always took the subway or walked quickly without going through the Commons or Public Gardens. The weather was beautiful today and I was reintroduced to how nice the Common and Garden are during my walk. This is one benefit of retirement; you can take a nice enjoyable walk and don't have to rush.

After the walk, I did a bit of shopping and relaxed in the Pru/Copley Malls.

This morning, I did go to Castle Island. The contractor was removing all the debris and I did not want them passing by the car with all the debris. I ate at Sullivan's and sat on the memorial bench for our parents at Castle Island. Today was the first time I was down Castle Island and used my car since the evening of my last MWRA workday, June 16.
Thursday, July 01, 2004
Today, July 1, 2004, was my first official day of retirement. I did take the last two weeks off using vacation and personal leave; however, I am now a former MWRA employee rather than a current employee on vacation. I went to the movies, had a nice lunch and dinner, and just thought some about what I want to accomplish the rest of my life. The contractor was at my house working on the foyer etc., but I did get out at a reasonable hour.

Unlike yesterday evening, today I did not think too much about the fact I am retired and I was not melancholic.
I am 98% sure I will be retiring on June 30, 2004, the last day to qualify for the retirement incentive of an extra 5 years added to your age or years of service. Update - I did take the retirement on June 30, 2004. This will be my second retirement. I retired in November 1992, again taking advantage of a retirement incentive. This retirement will be different; I will be 57 and the do not anticipate being employed full time again.

01/01/2004 - 02/01/2004 / 02/01/2004 - 03/01/2004 / 03/01/2004 - 04/01/2004 / 05/01/2004 - 06/01/2004 / 06/01/2004 - 07/01/2004 / 07/01/2004 - 08/01/2004 / 08/01/2004 - 09/01/2004 / 09/01/2004 - 10/01/2004 / 10/01/2004 - 11/01/2004 / 11/01/2004 - 12/01/2004 / 12/01/2004 - 01/01/2005 / 01/01/2005 - 02/01/2005 / 02/01/2005 - 03/01/2005 / 03/01/2005 - 04/01/2005 / 04/01/2005 - 05/01/2005 / 06/01/2005 - 07/01/2005 / 09/01/2005 - 10/01/2005 / 10/01/2005 - 11/01/2005 / 01/01/2006 - 02/01/2006 / 04/01/2006 - 05/01/2006 / 06/01/2006 - 07/01/2006 / 07/01/2006 - 08/01/2006 / 09/01/2006 - 10/01/2006 / 10/01/2006 - 11/01/2006 / 12/01/2006 - 01/01/2007 / 03/01/2007 - 04/01/2007 / 06/01/2007 - 07/01/2007 / 07/01/2007 - 08/01/2007 / 01/01/2008 - 02/01/2008 / 02/01/2008 - 03/01/2008 / 05/01/2008 - 06/01/2008 / 06/01/2008 - 07/01/2008 / 03/01/2009 - 04/01/2009 / 06/01/2009 - 07/01/2009 / 07/01/2009 - 08/01/2009 / 04/01/2010 - 05/01/2010 /

Powered by Blogger